leaks in Main Wind Chest
After completing main wind chest I checked windways for leaks. I found problems
with all 13 melody pipe channels. A disaster!
Not being able to locate the leaks I came up with this remedy:
1. Remove all valves.
2. Remove sliders and pipe installation boards.
3. Plug all valve and pipe openings with wood dowels to wind channels needing
repair. Rub in a very light coating of oil on ends to prevent Epoxy from
4. Working with one channel at a time poor two ounces of finishing, slow
cure, Epoxy (same consistency as paint) into 1st channel with small funnel
through glockenspiel opening on front edge. This type of thin Epoxy can be
found in hobby shops, arts and craft stores.
Allow Epoxy time to make its way to end of windway. Tilt the chest to reverse
the flow. Turn chest up on end for a minute or so, then the other. The idea
is to coat top, bottom, left and right sides with Epoxy.
When confident this has been accomplished set wind chest with glockenspiel
openings to bottom allowing excess Epoxy to fully drain out. Figure two hours
for this and another six or so for curing to take place. After draining
is complete and before Epoxy has completely hardened remove the dowels. The
first channel is now sealed. Repeat as required.
More than one channel at a time could be repaired I think. Hopefully this
procedure will not be necessary but if so it will fix all leaks perfectly.